Friday, August 7, 2009

Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies!

Photobucket
A favorite treat of mine when I was little was Little Debbie's Oatmeal Cream Pies! A while back a friend of mine mentioned she'd found a homemade version of these at a bakery and said they were to die for. I decided I'd better find the recipe! I searched and found one on another cooking blog and let me tell you, it did not dissapoint!


Oatmeal Cream Pies
Cookie Ingredients
1 cup margarine
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups quick oats

Cream Filling Ingredients
2 teaspoons very hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation

1. In large bowl, cream margarine, sugars, molasses, vanilla, and eggs.
2. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
3. Add to the creamed mixture; mix in the oats.
4. Drop dough by TBS on ungreased sheets. (I used a small cookie scoop.)
5. Bake at 350 degrees F.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes,or until just starting to brown around the edges.
7. They will look moist; don’t overcook.
8. While the cookies bake prepare the filling.
9. In small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water.
10. Allow this to cool.
11. Combine marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in med bowl; mix on high until fluffy.
12. Add the cooled salt water and mix well.
13. Spread filling on flat side of one cookie, press 2nd cookie on top.
Try them out and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. HA! I remember you always eating these dang things, except i'm sure the homemade version is 1000 times better. These little debbie ones are Dev's favorite thing, I guess i'll have to try and make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made them! Steve said it was the best treat I've ever made! Thanks to you! :) My cookies turned out really flat and crumbly though. I musta messed something up but they were delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete